Review: Working It by Riley Hart & Devon McCormack

Monday, July 17, 2017


Title: Working It
Authors: Riley Hart & Devon McCormack
Series: Metropolis, #2
Genre: MM Romance
Publication Date: March 11th 2017
Find It Here: Goodreads, Amazon

After his boyfriend dumps him, Hayden is in need of a place to live. Thanks to his buddies, he has a great lead to room with a guy named Cody in Metropolis, the hottest condominium in town. But things get a little uncomfortable when Hayden shows up for the interview and discovers he and Cody share an awkward up close and personal experience from their past. 

Cody doesn’t have a problem living with Hayden. He’s had his share of help when he was down and out, and he wants to do the same for this guy. It’s not long until Cody realizes how great it is having someone around. Sometimes, they watch movies together…and other times, they help get each other off—one of the perks of living with a guy who’s as laid back about sex as he is. They hit off so well Cody even decides to act as wingman for Hayden while he gets used to hitting the town again. 

Before they know it, they’re spending more time with each other than with anyone else. But Hayden just got out of a relationship and should be spending his nights having fun and working it around town, not jumping into something serious again. Cody’s always just gone with the flow, believing if it’s meant to happen, it will. But life doesn’t always work that way, and if they don’t fight for what’s right in front of them, Hayden and Cody might be over before they have the chance to even get started.



Working It is the second book the the Metropolis series, but all books can be read as standalones.  I will say that they would probably be more enjoyable if you read them all in order because we see characters from previous stories in the current book.  I think you better get to know all of their personalities if you start at the beginning, since we see a lot of the same characters throughout the series.  I just posted my review for the first book in the series last week, and I have to say that I did enjoy that one a teeny bit better than this one.  That's not to say that I didn't enjoy this one, because I really did.  I just felt a little more of a connection between the characters.

Cody and Hayden's story is a definite friends-with-benefits to more type of romance.  Hayden is newly out of a failed relationship and isn't ready to rush into anything serious, and Cody doesn't do serious.  He never has.  Both Hayden and Cody have rocky pasts but have turned things around and done things to better themselves.  While Hayden also has a past, I really felt for Cody.  He was so good at putting on that mask to let the world know that nothing ever gets to him that I think he started to believe it himself for a while.

There were a couple things that bothered me a little with this one, and ended up bringing down my rating a little.  We have the typical huge jerk of an ex that randomly shows up at the most inopportune times just to belittle the character and make him feel horrible.  I could understand if it happened once, but the guy kept popping up everywhere!  Another thing that I didn't love quite as much as the first one was the connection between the characters.  While they had A TON of chemistry, I wanted a little more from them romantically.  Cody is supposed to be the one that is typically really casual about sex, but I thought Hayden came off as a little more detached than he did.  We get to hear about Cody's feeling a lot but not quite as much from Hayden.  I felt like Cody was more invested.  There were a couple other minor things that I wasn't too keen on but I don't want to give too much away.

That being said, I did still enjoy the book and I am on to read the next book in the series about Derek!  I'm really excited about his story, so fingers crossed!!

Find It Here:

12 comments:

  1. I'm really curious about both of these books now, I'll have to check them out. Sorry you didn't love this one AS much as the first, but it still seems like a good read overall.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all available thru Kindle Unlimited too! (not sure if you have that or not) I did still end up enjoying this one, but I thought the first was just a little better. lol I hope you enjoy them if you get to check them out!

      Delete
  2. I already want to punch that guy who keeps popping up all the time! He sounds annoying. I'm glad the book was still quite enjoyable though. I'm really digging that cover! :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! Yeah, I definitely did want to punch that guy! He was super annoying. I love the cover of this one even more than the first book. I love the glasses. <3 lol! Thanks, Nick!

      Delete
  3. Love friends with benefits to more trope! Sounds like a solid read minus the few things you didn't love. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite tropes too. I always snatch up a book when I see that as the plot. I did still enjoy this one...even if a couple things had me rolling my eyes. lol! Thanks, Grace!

      Delete
  4. Ugh. I actually really hate it when an ex (who's always a jerk) of one of the characters shows up because it's just unnecessary drama. Other than that it sounds good, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Me too! Drives me nuts. I don't mind if they randomly run into each other once, but this guy was everywhere...and had horrible timing. He was a giant sleaze too so it made me even more cranky about it. lol! Other than the ex drama, I really did enjoy this one

      Delete
  5. I started this one right after I finished the first and I agree with a lot of what you said. I loved Hayden and Cody and I liked them together but a lot of the drama was the same stuff as the first book and that ex...I kept expecting a big showdown that would explain his behavior but nope.

    I didn't start book #3 yet because I thought maybe I should leave some space in case it's similar - although I can't see how it would be with that Daddy thing coming lol But that's a different issue.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhh, I wanted a big showdown too. But I'm catty that way, I guess. haha!

      No harm in taking a little break and coming back fresh. Some times I do that too. I actually ended up really enjoying the 3rd book. It's a "slower burn" romance than the first two. Hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete
  6. I had images of that 'whack a mole' game when you mentioned the ex. Maybe they needed to 'what him'. LOL. I do want to read this series eventually. I'll make sure I start at the beginning.

    Enjoyed your review, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha! I'm going to have to picture whack a mole every time an ex pops up in a book next time. That would be hilarious. I hope you enjoy this series, when you get to check it out!

      Thanks Sophia Rose!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground